PETER FRITZELL, MD, PhD,
Associate professor in Orthopedics at
Strömstad Academy since 23 November 2012
in Orthopedics at Strömstad Academy since 23 November 2012
Personal data: Date of birth: Dec 08, 1948
1. Capio St Göran
Ortopedklinik, and Futurum Academy for Safety and Quality in Health Care.
Orthpaedic spine surgeon
2. Uppsala University, Associate professor
1. Ryhov hospital, Futurum Academy, both in Jönköping, Sweden
2. Uppsala University, Sweden
S:t Göransplan 1, 112 81 Stockholm
2. Uppsala University, S:t Olofsgatan 10, B753 12, Uppsala
Mobil phone: +46-70-570 48 43, Ryhovs Hospital/Futurum:
0046-36-32 50 57
Uppsala University: 018-471 00 00
Peter Fritzell graduated from medical school at Gothenburg University in 1976. PF was registered as Doctor in 1976. He defended his thesis Lumbar fusion vs. nonsurgical treatment in patients with CLBP, in 2002, and was appointed associate professor at Uppsala University in 2006. PF is working as the manager for the Swedish national spine register (Swespine: www.swespine.se), which is owned by the Swedish society of Spinal Surgeons (www.4s.nu). PF is engaged in several research projects dealing mostly with cost-effectiveness in the treatment of spinal stenosis and total disc replacement in patients with CLBP, and also register studies. PF is since 2012 working as a teacher/researcher in the “Futurum, the academy for Quality and Safety in health care” in the County of Jönköping, Sweden, and since March 2016 at Capio St Göran Hospital Stockholm.
1998 – ongoing. Register manager of Swedish spine register (www.swespine.se)
2016 Engaged at Capio St Göran to create a scientific platform for future studies
2008-2011 “Lektor”/Tutor Center for clinical research Dalarna
2007 - Associate professor Center for clinical research Dalarna/Uppsala University
2004-2006 Chairman Swedish society of spinal surgeons
2002-2011 Researcher, tutor Center for clinical research Dalarna (Lektor)
2002-2006 Postdoctoral research activity at Center for clinical research Dalarna
1998-2016 Manager of the Swedish national spine register, Swespine
1995-2000 Project leader of “Low back pain project” in Dalarna, Sweden. Treatment – Cooperation – Logistics – Results in a Swedish county.
1994-1996 Chairman Swedish society of spinal surgeons
3. Omair A, Mannion AF, Holden M, Leivseth G, Fairbank J, Hägg O, Fritzell P, Brox JI. Age and pro-inflammatory gene polymorphisms influence adjacent segment disc degeneration more than fusion does in patients treated for chronic low back pain. Eur Spine J. 2016 Jan;25(1):2-13.
2001 Volvo Award Winner in Clinical Studies: Lumbar fusion versus nonsurgical treatment for chronic low back pain: a multicenter randomized controlled trial from the Swedish Lumbar Spine Study Group. Spine 2001 Dec 1;26(23):2521-32
4. Livskvalitet och funktion rapporterade i nationella register av patienter ett år efter att de opererats i ländryggen för diskbråck, spinal stenos, och kronisk ryggsmärta - samt resultatjämförelse med kliniska studier. En internationell registerstudie i samarbete mellan Sverige-Norge-Danmark-Holland